SWIM n RUN EVENTS
It’s as simple as a swim followed by a run!
BIG: 800m Swim + 7km Run
BIG AQUA – step up a notch!
Starting at the protected waters of Wollongong Boat Harbour, your swim-run experience starts with a protected 800m swim in Wollongong harbour, followed by a spectacular 7k coastal cycle way and park run that finishes on the sand of North Wollongong beach!
Harbour swim. 2 laps x 400m each.
Run = 7km coastal flat path/grass
MINI: 400m swim + 3km Run
THE PERFECT FOR ALL AGES AQUATHON
Perfect for all ages, novice, juniors or a fun fitness challenge. Starting at the protected waters of Wollongong Boat Harbour, your swim-run experience starts with a safe swim in Wollongong harbour, followed by a spectacular coastal run.
Protected harbour swim. 1 lap x 400m
Run = 3km coastal flat path/grass
KIDS: 200m Swim + 2km Run
KIDS SPLASH IN AND DASH OUT FUN!
Kids this one’s for you- Safe, close to shoreline swim supported by lifesavers and super fun. Parents are encouraged to join in and follow too!
Protected harbour swim. 1 lap x 200m
Run = 2km run that finishes on North Wollongong beach
Open the toggle boxes for more event info
What happens on event day?
Once you have paid your entry, we aim to make your event day process quick and easy.
PLEASE READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONAL EMAIL
- Collect your swim cap, time chip at registration. (City Beach SLSC)
- Go to Wollongong Harbour. (100m walk from check in)
- Place your ‘change’ gear in the area marked “change zone”
- 15 minutes prior to waters edge, with swim cap, goggles, and time chip Velcro around your left ankle. Team Runners wait at the change area to tag the swimmer.
- Listen to the safety briefing
- Swim starts are divided into age and gender groupings
- Lifesavers patrol the water and support your swim
- Once you have completed the swim, exit the shore to the ‘change zone”: swap goggles for joggers and proceed north along the safe cycle path.
- Run: Follow the course signage and course marshal’s instructions to the finish. Each event distance has a clearly marked run turn.
- NOTE: ALL Aquathon events finish at North Beach on the sand, located 900m from the harbour swim start.
- Finish zone has refreshments and first aid
- Post event awards and spot prizes are held on the grass at 11.30am (unless raining where it is held in north Wollongong surf club)
CHECK IN & LOCATION
From 7am – 8.30am (Big Aqua check-in closes at 8.15am)
Check In Location:
City Beach Surf Life Saving Club – Downstairs Activity Hall.
Marine Parade, Wollongong (underneath City Beach Function Centre)
Loads within 200m (Marine, Endeavour Drive, nearby streets, harbour)
North Beach, 800m walk from the harbour. Remember to either head back to the start to collect your gear (swim googles,etc) or have someone collect these for you and take to the finish.
Finish Line Services:
North Wollongong Beach (800m from the harbour) is the official finish area. A finish arch will greet you along with a cheering crowd- plus refreshments, water, cafe, amenities.
+ Professional organised event, and services as safety, lifesavers, first aid, volunteers
+ Eyeline swim cap
+ Time Chip, results and prizes for age winners
+ Spot random barrel draws
+ Refreshments, amenities, activities
+ An amazing location and fun atmosphere
Tag teams consist of two participants who split the event between a swimmer and a runner. The swimmer begins and completes the swim course, and then ‘tags’ the runner. Swimmer wears the Velcro time chip which is passed to the runner to wear. The tag area / runner meeting spot is located on the concourse 25m from shore. Listen to announcer / see signage on the day.
We encourage you to support your child. Whilst all care and safety is taken so kids can take part on their own if parents wish to follow and support their child(ren) that is fine. Please enter your name at registration or notify the event starter (Kids Aqua only)
Please ensure to meet your child at the finish (north beach) line.
Wollongong boat harbour is central to Wollongong city and lies between North Beach (900m north of harbour) and City Beach to the south.
Wollongong boat harbour provides a perfect location, and is mostly sheltered from harsh conditions. The water is typically very clean and idyllic with the historic lighthouse backdrop and fishing boats.
Poor weather, strong winds, heavy rain and storms can lead to water discoloration and choppy conditions. Key safety planning and processes ensure the event can typically proceed in near all, bar extreme conditions. Swim course director will liaise with lifesavers to determine if the swim course should be modified due to safety concerns. Swimmers are though advised to proceed based on their own level of experience and judgement.
Activate Events has conducted over 40 Aquatic events in Wollongong harbour and has an exemplary safety history. Strict risk management processes are in place, and services as onsite first aid and lifesavers all form a key part. All swimmers must wear the provided brightly coloured swim cap. The swim is contained within the harbour, watched closely by our lifesavers. Wollongong Harbour offers a mostly sheltered and safe location though it is paramount swimmers are aware of inherent risks with open water swimming and are appropriately prepared. Whilst all care and safety is taken, participants must observe all safety directions. Water referees will determine the most suitable swim course and/or course modification if conditions are deemed less safe.
These vessels will be following the swimmers around the course:
- Maritime Rescue Boat (subject to event/RMS discretion)
- Minimal 1 x IRB’s for harbour swim venue and two (2) for ocean swims
- Lifeguard operated jet ski’s with mats (subject to event and venue)
- Rescue Boards
- Surf Skis
- Rescue Tubes
First aid will operate at the shoreline, on course and finish by appropriately trained personnel. Medical and emergency services are on standby
Emergency Evacuation Plan
On the Day of the Event, there will be a full briefing for all water and land safety directly involved, in regards to any major risk or incident, requiring all swimmers to evacuate the water or runners to evacuate the course
The statistical percentages of support vessels to swimmers shows that our Risk Management Plan, specific to water safety and support paddlers, incorporates the necessary protocols and numbers on the water to effectively
Run Course Safety
The run course of the Aquathon is completely free from the road and traffic. The course is flat, well sign marked with course marshals and follows a scenic coastal “blue mile’ cycle path and adjoining nature reserve to one of three turn markers specific to your distance. A water station is located at Big Aqua turn marker and on the finish line at North Beach. Mobile first aid is provided.
What to Wear?
Swimmers or appropriate swimwear as shorts
Wetsuits are optional
Swim cap (provided)
Time Velcro (provided)
Located on the coastal city of Wollongong NSW, only 80km south of Sydney makes for an easy and worthwhile trip. North Beach and the picturesque Belmore Basin (known as Wollongong Boat Harbour) are central to the city, with a host of cafe’s, shops, hotels and magic beaches on your doorstep.
Where to stay?
Wollongong has a host of affordable to more luxury accommodation options click here
A little over an hour south of Sydney, offering an easy drive or train trip, ( 2.5 hours outside Canberra)- makes for a perfect weekender or day trip – Travel options click here
CONTACT & MAPS click here
entry terms & conditions
Safety and Risk Warning (Section 5M Civil Liability Act 2002)
All participants intending to race/partake in this event must agree to abide by the following safety and risk warning statement found in your online registration.
Swimmers enter at their own risk and are responsible for their own physical condition.
While in the water, all swimmers must comply with the directions of lifeguards and/or the water safety team, if you fail to do so you will be disqualified from the Event.
Known Conditions Statement: It is the responsibility of the swimmer to inform themselves of the beach and water conditions.
Insurance Activate Events is covered by its own public liability insurance. This does not include personal accident insurance. It is strongly recommended that you take out your own personal accident and ambulance cover for the Event. Your private health insurance policy may include this, however you will need to check this specifically with your private health insurer
Waiver and Indemnity THIS IS A RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY AND YOU ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
There are numerous obvious risks to participating in the ‘Splash Festival’ (hereafter called the Event).
Obvious risks include and are not limited to the following: injury and/or drowning, due to being hit by other persons, objects or boats, health conditions as cardiac events, Other obvious risks include, cold weather and water, entry and exit injuries, trips and falls, heat/cold extremes, physical exertion, stings, sandbars, medical conditions and sharks. Each entrant should be of competent physical ability to compete the event(s) and where event(s) include water, the swimmer should be a competent ocean/surf swimmer.
Each participant will be required to wear a timing Bracelet (Aquathon), swim cap (Aquathon/swim) run/walk identification bib or identifiable event band.
Officials maintain the right to reject or refuse any entry.
Medical officers commissioned by Activate Events have the authority to remove a competitor from the event without reason.
All participants must be unaided; eg no flippers, wet suits, boards, or any other floating gear is permitted except for the ‘Families, Flippers Wetsuits and Floaties’ category. All swimmers must swim the prescribed course. Runners must wear appropriate apparel, running suitable shoes.
All swimmers are to wear their prescribed cap and timing bracelet.
The decisions of the Race Director are final. All participants are to behave in a sportsman like manner.
Disclaimer 1. I hereby waive release and discharge all and every claim, right or cause of action (including for negligence, for breach of contract or breach of Statute) for which I might have or which arises out of my death, injury, damage or loss of any description which I may suffer or sustain as the result of my participation in the Event.
2. This waiver release and discharge shall operate jointly and severally in favour of the Indemnified Parties, namely: Activate Events (T/A Robert Battocchio), McKeon’s Swimming School, North, Wollongong City Council, Destination Wollongong, City beach and North Beach Surf Life Saving Clubs, Wollongong First Aid Australia Pty Ltd, Multisport Timing Australia, Wollongong City Council, New South Wales Maritime Authority, the Surf Life Saving Association of Australia (and any of its State Centres, Branches, affiliated Surf Live Saving Clubs and Committees), sponsors, supporters, persons, corporations, contractors, sub-contractors, volunteers, servants and employees involved or otherwise engaged in organising, promoting, staging, administering, running or controlling the Event.
3. I agree to indemnify and keep indemnified the indemnified parties against all actions, suits, demands, claims, proceedings, costs, expenses, liabilities and judgments (including for negligence, breach of contract or breach of statute) arising out of or in relation to my participation in the Event. This indemnity may be pleaded as a bar to any action, claim, demand, suit or legal proceedings.
4. I consent to receive such medical aid or preventative treatment which may be deemed advisable in the unfettered discretion of Event Medical personnel and Lifesavers in the event of any injury accident or illness to me as the result of my participation in the Event.
5. I consent to the free use of my name, personal information, photograph, interview or appearance in any newspaper, promotion, advertising material, publication, video, broadcast, website or use in any media now known or yet to be devised, by the Event and/or its sponsors.
6. I agree to allow sponsors to contact me on offers and services that may be of interest with my choice to unsubscribe or opt out at my own discretion at any time.
I agree to use of my images, name for purpose of social media or event promotions.
7. I affirm that I have properly trained for and fully satisfied myself as to my physical and medical condition to compete in the Event.
8. I agree to abide by and accept the rules and regulation of the Event whether announced on the day or prior thereto and to accept the decisions of both the Race Director and the Race Committee.
9. I agree and accept that the Event Director/Committee may, at its absolute discretion, vary the rules and regulations of the Event and without prior notice to me.
10. I agree to accept full responsibility to inform myself and assess all the dangers hazards and risks of entry in the Event and rely solely on my own assessment of these dangers, hazards and risks before participating in the Event and not with standing any decision thereon made by the race committee and other persons corporations and bodies involved engaged in promoting or staging the Event.
11. I agree that in the event of cancellation of the Event my entry fee shall not be refundable.
I agree that as a person to whom recreational services are supplied by the organisers, it is a term of my entry that I engage in the recreational activity of the Event at my own risk.
12. I agree that the terms and conditions contained in this entry form shall be construed broadly to provide a release, indemnity and waiver to the Indemnified Parties of any liability for loss injury or other damage to personal property to the maximum extent permitted by law
13. The Event reserves the right to recoup from the participant any costs associated with a Search & Rescue if that participant has failed to notify officials that they have withdrawn from the event. Indemnity in respect of persons under 18 years
In consideration of the Event agreeing at my request to accept the entry of the minor applicant I agree for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators to indemnify and keep indemnified the Indemnified Parties against all actions, suits, claims, proceedings, demands, cost, expenses, liabilities or judgments which the applicant and I may have against the Indemnified Parties but for the terms of this agreement in respect of any death, injury, damage or loss sustained by the minor applicant as the result of the minor applicant’s participation in the Event. I affirm that I have full authority on behalf of both Parents and/or Guardian to sign this indemnity AND that this indemnity may be pleaded as a bar to any action claim demand suit or legal proceedings.
Refund Policy THE SPLASH FESTIVAL IS SUBJECT TO WEATHER CONDITIONS ON THE DAY. IF THE CONDITIONS ARE ASSESSED TO BE TOO DANGEROUS FOR THE EVENT TO PROCEED, THERE WILL BE NO RE-RUN OF THE EVENT AND ENTRIES WILL NOT BE REFUNDABLE. THE PROCEEDS FROM THE EVENT ARE DIRECTED TO SIGNIFICANT COSTS FOR EVENT STAGING AND DONATIONS TO SERVICE PROVIDERS/CHARITIES.
The Event policies and management practices ensures high professional standards in the delivery of the Event are maintained, whilst prioritising safety and reducing hazards to swimmers and personnel involved in the Event.
Refund conditions: Participants must contact the Event organisers more than seven (7) working days prior to the Event date outlining their request to cancel their entry. Registration fee less 50% will be refunded to cover administration, and bank fees and charges. Any Event participant who withdraws from the Event within seven (7) working days of the Event date no refund will be payable. Dispute Resolution – Event Results and Sportsmanship The Event will ensure that all competitors have access to a fair and equitable process in dealing with grievance and provide an avenue for competitors to affect their final position.
The policies and procedures to raise a complaint and dispute must be completed as follows: Each complaint/dispute must be submitted in writing to the Race Director within 45min of the event for consideration. Each complain/dispute will be dealt with by the Race Director
Website Disclaimer Every effort has been made to ensure that the information in this publication is accurate. However the author expressly disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.
The author does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the information provided within the publication in terms of its correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise.
No oral or written information or advice given by the author shall create a warranty or in any way increase the scope of this warranty. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
Emergency Evacuation Plan On the Day of the Splash and Dash Festival (now called the Event) there will be a full briefing for all water and land safety directly involved, in regards to any major risk or incident, requiring all swimmers to evacuate the water or runners to evacuate the course
The statistical percentages of support vessels to swimmers shows that our Risk Management Plan, specific to water safety and support paddlers, incorporates the necessary protocols and numbers on the water to effectively have a full Emergency Evacuation Plan in place.
These vessels will be following the swimmers around the course:
Maritime Rescue Boat (subject to event/RMS discretion) Minimal 1 x IRB’s for harbour swim venue and two (2) for ocean swims Lifeguard operated jet ski’s with mats (subject to event and venue) Rescue Boards Surf Skis Rescue Tubes